As dangers of predators and identity theft surround us and our families online we have to learn about such dangers and how to protect ourselves. We have 10 basic ways to help us achieve safer Internet surfing. By following these 10 suggestions you and your family will be safer and be better able to enjoy the entertainment and educational benefits of the Internet.
1. Always have an active firewall and virus for computer protection. Viruses have become a harmful past time for hackers. Your computer can be reduced to nothing more than a paperweight with a powerful virus. Your personal files and information can be accessed and stolen without a firewall.
2. Use another browser other than Internet Explorer. Virus creators attack Internet explorer the most due to its popular use.
3. Do not allow your browser to remember passwords. This puts you at a safety risk
4. Do not provide any personal information online. This information can include phone numbers, addresses, email user-names or banking information. Identity thieves are watching and waiting to get there hands on this.
5. Keep your user-names and passwords to yourself.
6. Create passwords from a combination of letters and numbers. Create new passwords for each site.
7. Download only known items and understand what you are downloading before doing so.
8. Clear your browser history after web use.
9. Block cookies and pop-ups
10. Do not meet a chat buddy or other affiliate in person, especially alone.
These 10 steps are simple and common sense but there are people who do not use them. These people put themselves at a dangerous risk of r personal harm to themselves as well as their equipment.